With so many fun date night ideas in Austin, there is no reason to continue planning boring dates! Whether you’re looking to splurge or save, kindle the romance or make it an adventure, be active or get crafty, there truly is something for every couple.
And honestly, while we call this list “Date Nights in Austin,” this is really just a comprehensive guide for anyone looking for fun things to do in Austin!
For last-minute, late night date ideas, check out our list of the best things to do in Austin at night!
P.S. Don’t forget to check Groupon for the best deals on things to do in Austin!
Best Date Ideas: Romantic Things to Do in Austin
Love is in the air with these romantic date ideas in Austin.
1. Grab a Margarita with a View – The Oasis is considered touristy, but sometimes it takes looking at things from a tourist’s eyes to truly enjoy the beauty, not to mention the incredibly blue waters below!
2. Stroll Through Zilker Botanical Gardens – There’s just something so romantic about walking hand-in-hand through vibrant blooms and other greenery at the Zilker Botanical Garden!
3. Or the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center – Walk through 284 colorful acres full of a huge variety of flowers while learning about Texas’ diverse flora. Afterwards, grab lunch at the Wildflower Café or bring a picnic at one of their first-come, first-served picnic areas. They even host different outdoor classes and fitness events like yoga and native bird-watching.
4. Book a Sunset River Cruise – With Lake Travis and the way that the Austin sky lights up with colors, a sunset cruise is an easy and fun date idea in Austin. Some places like Capital Cruises and Lonestar Riverboat Tours even host bat tours! Shared Sunset Sails will also take you out on their sailboats.
5. Enjoy a Spa Day – There’s nothing like a day at the spa! Spa Reveil offers an extravagant list of different packages, including an Egyptian spa ritual and a chocolate spa experience. It has rooms where you can relax in between services, as well as romantic experiences like milky baths.
Hiatus Spa has unique packages, as well as a Turkish Hammam bath ritual. As part of your spa experience at the Omni Barton Creek, you can enjoy the relaxation lounges, steam rooms, dry saunas, and whirlpools. Basically, there’s no shortage of great spa experiences in Austin!
6. Learn to Give a Good Massage – Or if you want to take those skills home, head to MYO, which helps teach you and your partner how to give each other a massage for countless romantic date ideas.
7. Visit the Symphony – Get dressed up for a night of music at the Austin Symphony Orchestra. You might even be surprised at some of the shows they have, with music from West Side Story, Tango Symphonies, or Cosmos and Classics.
8. Catch a Dance Show – There are so many different dance forms and troupes, but each experience makes for a unique and exciting date night idea in Austin! Spend time checking out the Austin Ballet, Tapestry Dance Co, Blue Lapis Light, Andrea Ariel Dance Theatre, Dance Umbrella, and Forklift Danceworks.
9. Visit NYC – Well, not quite. However, you can experience Broadway in Austin for a little NYC-style date night!
10. Go Sailing – Book a charter with Texas Sailing, including sunset cruises, dinner cruises, and other romantic evening events out on the water!
11. See Austin from the Sky – There is so much to see from up above, whether it’s admiring the wildflowers, seeing the splendor of Austin, or taking a trip out to Salt Lick BBQ for lunch! There are several options for helicopter tours, including HELO Austin Tours, Alamo Helicopter Tours, and ATX Heli Tours.
12. Go Back in Time – There is something so romantic about the way you can snuggle up in the comfort of your own car or the back of a pickup truck while catching a movie at a drive-in theater. Three drive-in theaters for a date night in Austin include Blue Starlite, Moonstruck Drive-in Cinema, and Doc’s Drive-in.
13. Listen to Live Jazz – The soft candlelight and mood lighting at the Parker Jazz Club will set the tone for a romantic date night in Austin where you’ll hear some of the best jazz around.
14. Visit the Opera – The Austin Opera is a great place for a classy and elegant date night in Austin that you have to try at least once, but it’ll will probably draw you in show after show!
15. The Austin Aquarium – Discover marine life and experience personal animal encounters like feeding stingrays and interacting with sloths, kinkajous, lemurs, otters, and more! Click here to purchase your admission tickets.
16. Rent a Vespa – Want to travel through Austin like you’re in Europe on a romantic getaway? Rent a Revel electric moped and spend a day exploring Austin’s cute bistros, eclectic shops, and other fun spots.
17. Try a Chef’s Tasting – Wink has a 7-course meal for a fancy date night in Austin where you can savor each flavor and try dishes with ingredients from local farms.
18. Or a 20-course Omakase – Otoko on South Congress only seats 24 people a day for its special 20-course meal. Be sure to book well in advance to snag a seat, but it’ll definitely be worth the wait! You’ll get carefully crafted Tokyo-style sushi and Kyoto-style kaiseki prepared by the head chef.
19. Cruise in a Cool Car – If you want a day of luxury and scenic drives around Austin, check out the incredible cars available on Turo.
21. Go for a Picnic – Of course, you can set up your own picnic or let the people at Luxe Picnic set it up for you!
22. Go on a Wellness Retreat – For a full day of relaxation and quality time, book a trip to Miraval Spa where you can enjoy their world class spa treatments, sauna, steam room, and two infinity pools. On top of that, the day passes include access to their zip lining, mindfulness centers, walking trails, and other daily activities. You can stay overnight for added relaxation and an extended date night in Austin.
23. Go for a Brunch or Dinner Cruise – For a great meal and views of the lake, check out Lake Austin Riverboats.
24. Take a Friday Moonlight Cruise – At night, the lake takes on a whole new look. Experience it with Lonestar Riverboat Cruise on a BYOB date night in Austin.
25. Enjoy a Romantic Meal – The classic, romantic dinner date night is still a great idea, especially at the right restaurant. Some great places that will set the mood with incredible dishes, the right atmosphere, and great service include Eden East, Olamaie, and Eberly.
26. Book More Spa Time – You really can’t get enough romantic spa dates, especially with all the great places there are in Austin. Lake Austin Resort is an all-inclusive spa resort that features Eastern Asian spa treatments and other great options.
27. Plan a Staycation – Feel like you’ve been transported somewhere new by booking a hotel in Austin. It’s a couple’s trip without the worry of actually having to travel far, and Austin has so many fun hotels to check out, including the Thompson, East Austin Hotel, Canopy Austin Downtown Hotel, the Otis Hotel, the Driskill, and the Hotel Van Zandt.
28. Go on a Wine Tour – With the Texas wine country in Austin’s backyard, companies like Hill Country Wine Tours, Texas Tipsy Tours, the Austin Wine Shuttle, and Austin Wine Tours will take you to see all that Texas has to offer when it comes to wine! Many provide pick-up from your house or hotel along with an all-inclusive wine tasting experience!
29. Visit the Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum – Permanently home to works by Charles Umlauf, enjoy the outdoors and admire the sculptures scattered throughout the Umlauf Sculpture Garden. Take advantage of the benches and have a quiet moment with your partner while you’re at it. Extend the date and wander to nearby Zilker Park.
30. Plan a Day Trip/Weekend Getaway – Turn that Austin date night into an entire date-filled weekend or plan a day trip to some of the amazing towns nearby! You really can’t go wrong when you experience the romantic city of Dripping Springs, the fairy tale town of Wimberley, the cutest downtown in Georgetown, or the adventures in Burnet.
Best Date Ideas: Things to Do in Austin on the Water
Austin is lucky to have the turquoise blue waters of Lake Travis, scenic spots like Barton Creek, and other great swimming holes! With that comes a surplus of fun date night ideas in Austin on the water!
31. Go for a Boat Ride – No need to worry about the hassle of driving the boat yourself. Let your captain take care of you so you can enjoy your partner’s company, find the best swimming spots on Lake Travis, and watch the sun set with Float On.
32. Learn to Sail – Austin Sailing Adventures offers sailing lessons if you’re looking to pick up a new skill together that can be used for countless date nights to come in Austin!
33. Go for a Swim – There are so many great swimming spots to choose from and part of the fun is hopping around and finding your favorite ones! One of the many top spots in Austin is Barton Creek.
34. Check Out a State Park – McKinney Falls State Park is perfect for adventure-loving couples looking to get out! With hiking trails and falls to enjoy, you can spend all day here or just a couple of hours before moving onto another activity!
35. Go Kayaking – Get in a workout any day of the week while enjoying the views of downtown Austin from Lady Bird Lake at the Austin Rowing Club (formerly Congress Avenue Kayaks). They have guided tours as well for those who want to see the bridge bats (March through early fall) or kayak down to Barton Springs. Live Love Paddle and Capital Cruises host kayak tours as well!
36. Try Not to Fall Over – Or test your balance with one of Austin Rowing Club’s stand-up paddle boards.
37. Go Wakeboarding – Enjoy a day of adventure at Quest ATX where you can learn to wakeboard while being pulled by a cable. Be sure to check out their obstacle course, rope swings, and giant water slide.
38. Bounce Over Lake Travis – Waterloo Adventures is a bounce house-obstacle course combo on the surface of Lake Travis with 600 feet of fun!
39. Swim in the Oldest Pool in Texas – Enjoy a little history during your date in the spring fed waters of Deep Eddy Pool. This is a super affordable date idea in Austin since admission is just a few dollars!
40. Take in a Natural Wonder – Hamilton Pool is a one-of-a-kind experience! Swim in a natural pool that was created after the dome of an underground river collapsed. You can enjoy a short walk along the way and see a natural waterfall. Make your reservations weeks in advance to ensure you have a spot.
41. Go Surfing – Sure Austin doesn’t have a beach, but you can still enjoy a couple’s surfing date with Austin Wake Surf or ATX Wake. They use the wake and a surfboard to give you that surfing experience!
42. Or Go Water Skiing – Missing wintertime or the snow? You can still get your skiing in with Water Ski Lake Austin.
43. Fly Above the Water – At Austin Flyboard, you get to test your balance skills with boots that essentially blast water from your feet so that you’re propelled into the air!
44. Surf Above the Water? – I’m not even sure how they come up with these ideas, but at Unhooked Sports, you can try what’s essentially an airborne surfboard!
45. Go Jet Skiing – Enjoy a little adventure and great views (of your date and the Texas Hill Country) with a jet-ski rental from Lakeway Marina.
46. Visit Starnes Island – An island in Austin? You bet! It’s a popular area for boats to dock and people to hangout. You can say you took your partner to an island, which sounds cool on its own. Now just to decide how to get there.
47. Ride a Boat on Lady Bird Lake – Choose from fun boat rides like a giant donut or a boat shaped like a swan, and travel across Lady Bird Lake with Capital Cruises’ various experiential river cruise options. Don’t forget to snap a picture of the iconic Congress Avenue Bridge!
48. Go Fishing – There are all types of bass and other varieties of fish, and with Barefoot Fishing Tours, you will have the best time with a charter who will take you to their favorite fishing spots.
49. Play Blackjack – Get some friends together for a night at the casino with Capital Cruises and Austin Party Boat Rentals. This is great for large groups!
50. Swim in a Natural Spring – Barton Springs Pool is popular for its year-round swimming, and with the beautiful water, it makes for a great swim date!
51. Visit the Beach – Emma Long Metropolitan Park has sand to build sandcastles and beautiful blue waters that will make you feel like you are at the beach!
Best Date Ideas: Active Things to Do in Austin
One thing I love about Austin is its focus on getting out and staying active! So of course, we had to find all the best date night ideas in Austin for couples to bond, maybe break a sweat, and get those endorphins flowing! Whether it’s just going for a small walk or challenging yourself, there are so many great active date nights in Austin!
52. Try Bouldering at the Austin Bouldering Project – Once you start, people often become enchanted by all the cool things that come from bouldering. Start off at Austin Bouldering Project to learn the essentials and build the excitement, and if it’s something you end up loving, you can take your partner to different outdoor bouldering spots around Austin, like Pace Bend Park and Enchanted Rock. For more things to do near this rock-climbing gym, check out our extended list centered around East Austin.
53. Go Rock Climbing – Or maybe you like longer trails and heights? Take courses at Austin Rock Gym together and challenge each other to see who can make it to the top first.
54. Explore a Cave – This makes a great date for anytime of year! Inner Space Cavern is a comfortable 72 degrees year-round and filled with breathtaking rock formations, prehistoric animal bones, and the newly opened Saber Tooth Zip Ride, which actually has space for you and your partner to sit side-by-side.
Extend the adventure and grab a Texas Cave Trail Passport with four additional caves you can visit: Natural Bridge Caverns (San Antonio TX), Cave Without A Name (Boerne TX), Caverns of Sonora (Sonora TX), and Longhorn Cavern State Park (Burnet TX). Collect stamps from all four within the year and win a free t-shirt! Now you and you boo have some Texas trips to plan!
54. Be Tourists in Your Own City – You might think you know your city as an Austinite, but with AO Tours Walkabout Tour, you might learn things you never knew about Austin’s top landmarks. Plus, you’ll get in several hours of walking!
Or book a Weird Austin City Tour where you can learn how Austin received its weird reputation from the comfort of an air conditioned vehicle with snacks and your very own live musician.
55. Battle it Out – For a date full of laughs (and it’s great for groups), Austin Bubble Soccer is where you essentially get into a giant, inflatable ball and play soccer!
56. Join the Circus – Relive those childhood dreams as a couple at Sky Candy where they have all types of circus classes, as well as theater and aerial classes!
57. Learn Burlesque – Learn a new dance, with several styles to choose from, at the Austin Academy of Burlesque!
58. Or Learn Different Latin Dances – Dancing is always a great opportunity to bond! Esquina Tango teaches tango, salsa, and more. They even have Spanish conversation classes for people wanting to learn a language together!
59. Go Golfing – Topgolf makes for a fun date night in Austin when you want to enjoy great food and drinks while also perfecting that golf swing!
60. Go on a Scavenger Hunt – If you’ve ever wanted to compete in the Amazing Race, this might help you see how you would handle the pressure as a couple without the camera. You’ll get to learn about the city, see quirky sites, get in a bit of a workout, and, most importantly, have fun together!
61. Play Tag – Except for this one, you’re using arrows! Archery Battles is great for group dates. Here, you’ll tag each other out with arrows. The company, Bubble Battles, also has bubble soccer and glow-in-the-dark dodge ball!
62. Throw Axes – For a little friendly competition date night in Austin, work on your aim with an axe Urban Axes.
63. Play Baseball – Except here you have the comfort of A/C! Home Run Dugout is a virtual batting cage experience with delicious food and drinks in between each round!
64. Jump on Trampolines – Urban Air Adventure Park has all types of cool trampolines, activities, and it’s perfect for adults too!
65. Try Indoor Skydiving – All the thrills of skydiving, none of the fears! At iFly, you can do cool acrobatics in the air while being pushed up into a vertical wind tunnel!
66. Explore Austin by Bike – With Austin Bike Tours and Rentals, you can either grab a bike and take your own tour of the city or go on one of their guided tours with themes like architecture, tacos, and even yoga!
67. Or via Electric Bike – By Your Biker Gang’s guided e-bike tours has been ranked one of the top 25 things to do in the U.S. by TripAdvisor. Choose between their morning, afternoon, and private guided bike tours!
68. Go Horseback Riding – For another way to see Austin and to enjoy an active date with your partner, Texas Trail Rides offers rides around a South Austin ranch.
69. Zipline over Lake Travis – Soar through the sky at Austin Zipline Adventures with some of the most spectacular views of Lake Travis!
70. Or Zipline Through a Forest – Zip Lost Pines, located in the Lost Pines Forest, offers multiple hour-long zipline adventures on their 5 dual ziplines, 3 sky bridges, spiral staircase, and even a scenic hike! They also offer sunset zipline adventures and the opportunity to zipline side-by-side with your partner for an exhilarating experience you can have together!
71. Play Miniature Golf – Peter Pan Mini Golf is an Austin classic that’s been around since 1946 and includes, of course, a giant Peter Pan, castles, and other fun art to go along with your mini golf experience.
72. Or Actual Golf – Anyone can play golf on a quality course at Butler Pitch & Putt. This 9-hole, par-3 course can get pretty busy, but they also have a live cam so you can see how busy it is in real time. Rent clubs and balls for $1 or bring your own equipment! Go around the course again for half-price. They also offer beginner adult golfing classes if you want to hone your skills. Grab some grub from the on-site clubhouse or permanent food trucks when you need to refuel.
73. Shoot Paint at Each Other – With 10 custom fields, Texas Paintball has several different courses to try out and is even known as the “Disneyland of Paintball!”
74. Become a Race Car Driver – Or at least learn to be one. They say high intensity activities are good for couples because you associate that adrenaline with each other, which makes this a great Austin date idea, especially if you’re trying to win over that special someone! Driveway Austin has professional race car drivers that teach you how to race cars, or you can suit up and ride as a passenger next to one!
75. Skate on Ice – Ice skating is always a fun activity because at least one person is usually bad at it, which means opportunities to laugh together. Plus, the cold is more reason to hold hands!
76. Or Regular Skating – Bring it back to the funky music, roller rink food, and the fun of rolling around in a circle time and time again.
77. Escape to a New Reality – Virtual Reality is something that is quickly growing in popularity! There are a couple of places in Austin that offer a unique take on the experience! The Original Pinballz Arcade has virtual reality games and an Omniverse arena where you actually walk around and experience it.
The VR Arcade has a huge selection of all types of games: horror, sports, action, puzzles, and more!
78. Learn Archery – At the Archery Training Center, they will walk you through how to shoot a bow and arrow.
79. Break Things – Better than letting that steam off at each other, head to Unchartered Adventures where you are set up in a room with a bunch of things to break! Afterwards, enjoy fun Texas crafts, or if you didn’t burn off enough steam, try some axe throwing.
80. Row, Row, Row Your Boat – Not so gently down the stream! Working out is always a fun way for couples to bond, and at Ro Fitness, you can pop in for an indoor rowing workout date!
81. Go Camping – Geek Adventures lets you rent out everything you need to go camping around Austin and has everything from the basic set-up to more luxe ones!
82. Dance Like it’s the ’20s – Swing Dancing is quite popular in Austin for all ages. It’s active, it’s light-hearted, and with the lessons, you can impress your date! The Austin Swing Syndicate is the best resource for all the best places to go swing dancing and, most importantly, to learn to swing dance!
83. Learn to Salsa – or Bachata, Merengue, Cumbia, Cha Cha, the list goes on. Inspired Movement and Salsa Austin will give you the instruction you need to have a memorable Austin date night!
84. Drink Beer & Bike – Enjoy the beauty of Austin, as well as its incredible beer scene, all at the same time! Bike and Brew ATX will take you around town and provide you the best insight on craft breweries in Austin!
85. Go for a Run – If the walking tours are just a little too slow paced for you, check out the Go Running Tours. There are secret trails, graffiti and grub trails and, of course, a downtown Austin trail!
86. Go Scuba Diving – Everyone knows you can boat on Lake Travis, but did you know you can scuba dive in it? Choose from excursions like instructional dives, sunset dives, and night dives with Lake Travis Scuba. You’ll also get transportation to dive sites that shore divers have never seen! Never been scuba diving? You can also become certified with Lake Travis Scuba!
87. Walk this Iconic Trail Through Austin – The Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail combines the urban allure and nature of Austin. It’s a 10-mile trail that passes everything from parks, the shore of Lady Bird Lake, skyscrapers, and more. Park and start walking and see where it takes you!
You can also experience the Boardwalk at Lady Bird Lake while you’re at it. It’s over 7,000 feet long with beautiful viewing areas of the lake and surrounding Austin cityscape, as well as 36 pieces of commissioned artwork along its handrails depicting western-style belts with song lyrics from Texas singers and songwriters.
Best Date Ideas: Fun Things to Do in Austin
Prepare for lots of laughs, great memories, and a wide variety of activities with all of these fun Austin date night ideas!
88. Escape the Room – Challenge each other’s problem-solving skills and how well you work together under pressure with one of several escape rooms in Austin! The only problem is choosing the right one since each one offers something unique. The Escape Game has really great themed rooms.
If you’re looking for a scare, try out MindSpark Escape Games!
Some other options are Selfiemade Escape Room, an escape room inside an actual art museum; Sandbox VR, a virtual reality escape room experience, and AR Adventure, where a scavenger hunt around Austin and an escape room collide.
89. Play Some Classics – At the Original Pinballz Arcade, you can enjoy all of the classic games, as well as a BYOB for hours of fun and laughter!
Cidercade has a huge selection of over 150 arcade games, including the classics, more modern titles, and classic games like Skee-ball, Game Time Basketball, and Air Hockey. Simply pay an entry free and play as much as you want! They also have a monthly membership option so you can come back over and over again for more game-filled date nights! Not to mention they have a great drink selection and lots of places to sit, hold hands, and chat.
90. Or Newer Games – Arcade UFO specializes in imported arcade and console games from Korea and Japan. They also host weekly gatherings and even tournaments!
91. Visit the Zoo – Spend a day at the Austin Zoo with your partner checking out all of the animals. Make your Austin date a special occasion with a Capybara or Galapagos Tortoise encounter. Click here to purchase your general admission tickets.
92. Laugh Together – Hopefully you’re already doing that, but for extra laughs, check out some of the cool comedy spots in Austin. Cap City Comedy brings in some of the best talent from all over and also hosts open mic nights!
93. Sing Off Tune Together – Unless you’re really good at singing and plan on dazzling the crowd! The Highball has private, themed karaoke rooms with a dance floor, drinks, food, and Wednesday night trivia!
At the Common Interest (21+), the second oldest original bar in Austin, you can choose between private rooms and the main stage. For a fun, family-friendly environment, check out the H Mart, which hosts karaoke inside their food hall (it may or may not still be available so be sure to call beforehand).
94. Or if You Have Stage Fright – Ego’s is known to be the best karaoke bar in Austin, but not only can you sing karaoke and sip drinks together, they also have videogames, pinball, and three big-screen TVs, making it a great place to just hang out too!
95. Try Mobile Karaoke – The Karaoke Fun Cab will drive you around Austin while you, your honey, and maybe your other couple friends put on a show for your driver!
96. Watch a Race – At the Circuit of the Americas, you can catch different races and special events.
97. Be the Racer – COTA also has karts that go up to 55 mph so you can enjoy the track as well and race each other!
98. Go to a Water Park – Race down slides, float in the lazy river, ride the waves, and more, all at Typhoon Texas.
99. Take Super Cool Pictures – There are so many cool Instagram-style museums popping up around Austin! Wonderbar is similar with a very photo-worthy and fun bar where you can sip a cocktail while sitting on a banana. Or wander through a maze of lights at Wonderspace.
100. Try Cryotherapy – If you are a couple who enjoys the cold, then this might be for you! Restore Hyper Wellness in Austin has couple’s packages, including traditional cryotherapy and other treatments.
101. Experience ACL All Year – Even if you miss ACL, you can still enjoy some of the experience at ACL Live at the Moody Theater for top music acts from around the world and over 100 live concerts every year! You can also get tickets to tour the venue and walk in the footsteps of famous performers.
102. Have Fun While Learning – You might think the Thinkery is for kids, but us adults want to learn in fun ways too! Thinkey21 is a special event around Happy Hour where they design fun activities for adults that make for a great Austin date!
103. Watch Modern Day Vaudeville – Esther’s Follies has been known as the Saturday Night Live of Austin and is one of the most popular troupes in Texas. They have Vaudeville, comedy, magic, and all kinds of great shows!
104. Dance Around the World – The Sahara Lounge is a place to dance to Caribbean, African, Middle Eastern, and Latin music! There’s a new experience every night and always something incredible to experience with your partner!
105. Shoot Some Targets – The Range Austin has shooting packages, classes, and even ways for you two to compete.
106. Race Indoors – Perfect for a rainy date idea in Austin, K1 Speed is one of the fastest indoor golf carts around where you can challenge each other to a high thrill race!
107. Browse Through Books – More than just books, Resistencia Bookstore is a community organization that lifts up the voices of Native American/Chicana/o/x/Latina/o/x writers. You’ll find a great community here along with books for a great couple’s book club and deep conversations.
108. Go Two-Steppin’ – Enjoy some dancing, great live music, and some Texas swing at Austin Honky Tonkers.
109. Enjoy a Piano Concert – The Dueling Pianos has all kinds of interactive shows for a fun night of singing along, cheering, and great music.
110. Listen to Classic Guitar – Austin Classical Guitar Society has live performances, classes, workshops, and other events centered around classic guitar!
111. Watch Wrestling – Get wild cheering on your favorite contender at Anarchy Championship Wrestling, which brings back the intensity and excitement around the sport.
112. Explore Six Square – Six Square is Austin’s Black Cultural District, and here, you can take part in historic tours, music exploration events, and other events.
113. Or Rainey Street – Known for its bars, restaurants, and night life, Rainey Street is another one of Austin’s iconic destinations with a lot to do within walking distance of each other. In March, Rainey Street is the place to be for the SXSW Festival.
Throughout the year, you can visit the Mexican American Cultural Center, the Trail of Tejano Legends, and the Tejano Walking Trail.
114. Try Augmented Reality – Watch as Austin turns into a whole new world with AR Adventure Austin with bar hops, scavenger hunts, spy adventures, and what is essentially the largest escape room: the entire city of Austin! It will be a memorable Austin date for sure!
115. Watch Soccer – Futbol is quickly growing in popularity, and you can cheer on the Austin Bold FC and maybe even have a new sports team to enjoy together.
116. Meet a Kangaroo – and other animals at the Austin Petting Zoo. You’ll encounter all types of incredible animals that they will bring out to meet you. It’ll make for a great Austin date!
117. Attend a Concert or Festival – With SXSW and ACL, Austin is one of the top destinations in the world for great concerts and festivals. However, you don’t have to wait for the headliners for a great Austin date. Check local listings, Facebook events, and the Visit Austin page for a list of all the great, and sometimes weird, Austin concerts and festivals.
118. Listen to Poetry Slam – The Spider House Ballroom hosts some of the best poetry slams around every Tuesday or check out the Austin Poetry Slam website for other dates and times.
119. Go Gaming – If board games are your thing, check out the Vigilante Gaming Bar, which has custom game boxes, hidden rooms, and other exciting treasures. Mothership Books and Games is another option!
120. Hang Out at the Pool – You don’t have to stay at a hotel to enjoy snazzy hotel pools. Check out Resort Pass, which will give you access to the pools, spa, and other swim spots typically only available for hotel guests, like at the Kimpton Hotel Van Zandt.
121. Catch a Sports Game – There are so many sports teams to pick from when it comes to an Austin sports date, from supporting the UT college teams, to the Austin Spurs (basketball), Austin Ice Bats (hockey), and Austin Huns (rugby). However, also look into some of the lesser followed spots like the Austin Weird paintball team and the Texas Roller Derby.
122. Get Spooked with Haunted ATX – If you want to see the spooky side of Austin, check out Haunted ATX’s Ghost Tours and be escorted around the city as you hear about Austin’s haunted buildings. They offer both public and private tours, including tours via hearse! Other ghost tours around Austin include the Ghost Walk Tour by Walking Tours of Austin and both the Haunted Walking Tour and Pub Crawl & Tavern Tour by Austin Ghost Tours.
123. Investigate an Actively Haunted Farm – Venture away from the city and experience the hauntings of Pioneer Farm every third Saturday of the month. By day, Pioneer Farms is an immersive colonial town and, at night, an actively haunted location. It’s considered one of the most active paranormal site’s in Central Texas! Learn a little history with Austin Ghost Tours and try your hand at being a paranormal investigator with the help of your tour guide, a working medium. What better excuse to hold hands and touch each other than when you’re scared?
124. Get a Foot Massage – If you don’t want to splurge on a full massage, you can still get a great experience with foot massages. Beijing Foot Massage and Relax Day Spa both come with great recommendations.
125. Spoil Each Other with Pedis – Milk + Honey has been top-rated for their luxurious pedi and one that will last through whatever week you have ahead.
126. Watch an Indie Movie – Rather than a regular movie date, check out some of the smaller independent films together at Violet Crown Cinema.
127. Book a Kitty Play Date – Whether you’re keen on seeing your date get cuddly with kittens or you’re potentially looking to adopt a cat together, Purrfecto Cat Lounge, Austin’s only cat café, hosts the cutest kitties from two Texas-based rescues. Book a kitty play date on their website or stay up to date on their events for a chance to participate in one of their cat yoga classes! One of their popular events is “Trivia and Toe Beans,” a cat-themed trivia game surrounded by adorable cats. Maybe you’ll fall in love with one of them (and with each other).
128. Plan an Unforgettable Lake Day – WaveX Watersports offers a diverse array of options to add a splash of excitement on your next date. Cruise along one of several picturesque lakes near Austin on their top-of-the-line 24-foot Trifecta Tritoons for a smooth and leisurely ride. Or, hop onto the Evojet or Yamaha Waverunner and feel the wind in your hair as you zip across the water’s surface. The company also offers exciting combos that blend various water activities to make your date truly unforgettable. Not to mention, they have an exciting addition coming soon — the Yamaha Jet Boat, promising an even more exciting and dynamic water adventure.
Best Date Ideas: Romantic Things to Do in Austin for Art & History Lovers
Austin has a huge art scene, plus so many great museums and historical sites so you can bond with your partner while learning a little with these amazing date ideas.
127. See Art at the Mexi-Arte Museum – Explore Mexican culture through art at this museum with regularly rotating exhibits.
128. Visit the Blanton Museum of Art – With over 19,000 art pieces from Europe and Latin America, you could easily spend all day here.
129. Get a Ticket to the Theater – The only hard part will be choosing which ones. Austin has so many great acting troupes to enjoy and support. You can make your way through the list for multiple theater date ideas until you find your favorite. Some located in Austin are Hideout Theatre, ZACH Theatre, VORTEX Repertory Theatre, Salvage Vanguard Theater, Scottish Rite Theater, Fallout Theater, City Theatre, Zilker Theatre Productions, Paramount Theatre, ColdTowne Theater, Hyde Park Theatre, and Rude Mechanicals (AKA Rude Mechs).
130. Go on an Art Gallery Tour – This is another Austin date that can turn into multiple dates. Choose a few that look like they’ll interest you and spend time checking out each one. Some great ones include Roadhouse Relics, the Austin Art Garage, Flatbed Center for Contemporary Printmaking, TWYLA, and Yard Dog Art (just to name a few).
131. Visit the Contemporary Art Museum – Where you’ll see all sorts of incredible sculptures. Then, sit on top of the limestone tree stump and reflect on life together.
132. Explore the South Austin Popular Culture Center – Here, you’ll find a museum that showcases the pop culture of Austin.
133. Wander through the Mi Casa Gallery – Where you’ll find all types of Latin American art, pottery, and religious items.
134. Discover Programs at the Asian American Cultural Center – With programs like Chinese cooking classes, Shaolin Kung Fu, calligraphy, music, and more, there is so much to learn and experience!
135. Go on an Austin Historic Walking Tour – They have different walking tours that teach you about the Capitol building and different historic spots around Austin.
136. Go on an Austin Music Heritage Tour – Travel back in time 50 years and learn about Austin’s music history and the birth of local legends!
137. See the Lotus Asian Art – This gallery has all types of Asian antiques, ancient and contemporary art, and decor on display.
138. Learn about German Heritage – At the German-Texan Heritage Society, you can take language and cooking classes, as well as take part in special events!
139. Explore Latino Theatre – Teatro Vivo puts on plays based on the Latinx community and culture.
140. Discover the Richness of Texas History – This date eill feel nothing like those high school history classes! The Bullock State Texas History Museum brings Texas history to life and helps couples connect through interactive exhibits.
141. Discover Indian Classic Music – At the Indian Classic Music Circle of Austin, you can see different music and dance performances.
142. Visit the French Legislation Historic Site – This was built to represent the French government in the new Republic of Texas and, since then, serves as a piece of history that you can see for yourself.
143. Participate in a Program at the Texas Folklife Center – Featuring concerts, storytelling series, folklife exhibits, and more, there are so many great opportunities for an educational AND fun date night.
144. Learn about the Messenger of the Alamo – at the Susanna Dickinson Museum.
145. Listen to Different Local Music Performances – Austin is considered the Live Music Capital of the World, meaning there is a huge selection of live music venues to visit. A few options are the Continental Club (variety of genres), Antone’s Night Club (blues), and Hotel Vegas (live music and DJs nightly).
Or book a Live Music Crawl, a tour by a local musician of the best live music venues in town!
146. Or Live Music with Downtown Views – Speakeasy in downtown Austin is a three-level venue with live music, bowling, and other events surrounded by the towering buildings of central Austin.
147. Or at Central Texas’ Oldest Bar – The Historic Scoot Inn is a more intimate venue and bar that has been open since 1871! Get tickets in advance to make sure you both get good seats!
148. Learn About the Neill-Cochran House Museum – The building was once a school for the blind, as well as a federal war hospital, and you can learn about its past on your next visit. Click here to purchase your admission tickets.
149. Live Out History – The Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms is a living history farm where you can experience farm life, learn skills from back in the day (that are still relevant today), and participate in special events!
150. Learn About the History of Texas Music – With special exhibits and events, the Texas Music Museum is a great place to learn about the diverse traditions of Texas music!
151. Rock n’ Roll – or at least learn about it at the Modern Rock Gallery. See iconic photos as well as different rock and roll art.
152. Listen to Records Together – Voted the Best Record Store in the World by Buzzfeed, Waterloo Records has been a staple of Austin’s music culture since 1982. To this day, you can listen to records and give them a spin before buying them. They also have a selection of used records, so who knows what treasures you’ll find!
Best Date Ideas: Things to Do for Foodies in Austin
Bonding over great food is always a good idea (unless your date is picky, then maybe not). Austin is a foodie city with new places to explore around every corner. However, if you’re looking for more than a sit-down dining experience, check out some of these unique restaurants and foodie experiences in Austin.
153. Grab Boozy Pops – Picole Pops is the stop you make when you want a sweet treat and a cocktail. Or, try the perfect winter snack (s’mores) in popsicle form.
154. Go on a Brewery Crawl – Austin has an incredible craft beer scene and so many great breweries to try! Put together a list and spend time exploring the different ones or go with Austin Brewery Tours, where they’ll take care of everything for you. There’s even a Brew Bus with samples from three breweries and a local band onboard!
155. Drink House Wine – Most wineries are outside of Austin city limits, but the Austin Winery is the perfect place to go if you’re looking for an urban winery!
156. Discover Austin Speakeasies – The fun is that you have to do the work to uncover them for yourselves! Have fun exploring some of the more hidden spots in Austin, and then reward yourselves with a refreshing drink!
157. Put Together a Cheese Board – Antonelli’s Cheese Shop is a famous cheese shop known throughout Texas. When you walk in, they’ll let you taste the different cheeses so you can find your favorite. Pick some, pair it with a bottle of wine, and you’re all set for a romantic picnic date!
158. Solve a Murder – Tavern Austin has murder mystery dinners for an interactive dinner date!
159. Watch Drag – Drag and brunch go well together at spots like Irene’s, Cavalier Queers, and Gettin’ Saucey.
160. Go to a Sushi Bar – Kura Revolving Sushi Bar lets you eat sushi from a revolving belt for a more fun way to enjoy your food!
161. Go on a Taco Crawl – It’s no secret that Austin is famous for its tacos, and while everyone has their own list of best taco spots, choose some in your area, grab a couple from each place, and you be the judge. You might come across a new gem you’ll want to come back to time and time again.
162. Or a Margarita Crawl – There are so many little bar hopping spots in Austin. Start with one, and just like the taco crawl, go in search of the best margarita.
163. Go on a Blind Date – Except this time, you know who your date is. Instead, it’s the delicious food and everything around you that’s a mystery since you can’t see it! This sensory dinner at the Blind Café offers a new way to interact with your partner!
164. Roast Marshmallows – At Halycon, you don’t need a campfire for s’mores. Instead, they bring out a portable fire so that you can roast marshmallows together right in the restaurant.
165. Visit a Hibachi Grill – Experience dinner and a show at Sushi Japan & Hibachi Grill as they prepare your meal right in front of you.
166. Go Happy Hour Hopping – At the Domain, each bar has different specials, and you can enjoy walking around while checking out different spots and trying new drinks!
167. Go on a Food Tour – Twisted Texas Tours does all kinds of cool food and drink tours, like brunch, BBQ & brews, weird food tours, distillery tours, and more! Go on a Happy Hour Tour or a BBQ, Brunch, & Breweries tour of East Austin with Austin Easts Food Tours. Sight see while you eat with Secret Food Tours or Austin Food Tours by the Food Tasting Network.
168. Enjoy a Brazilian Steakhouse – Enjoy great conversations over a high-end buffet of top sirloin, filet mignon, aged ribeye, and other great cuts of meat at Estância Brazilian Steakhouse.
169. Have a Mystery Picnic – AmazingCo will take you on a couple’s adventure to local Austin artisans where you’ll collect picnic ingredients and be led to a secret picnic spot for a memorable date.
170. Learn to Cook Thai Food – Thai Fresh has private, at-home and virtual cooking classes for couples in Austin to learn new skills and cook incredible dishes!
171. Shop After Class & Try it at Home – Several stores not only stock essentials but also host cooking classes of their own. The Central Market on North Lamar hosts classes inside their on-site Cooking School that vary from seafood basics to how to make French macarons and more!
Sur La Table, located inside the Domain, also hosts a variety of more luxurious cooking classes, including date night specific events like “Bold Tuscan Flavors” and “Surf & Turf.”
Whether you’re looking for practical meal solutions or to learn something new and unique, classes at Faraday’s Kitchen Store are another great option! Then, go for a shopping trip after class while it’s fresh on your mind and plan an at-home date night!
172. Choose the Class That Works Best for You – Choose from dozens of classes based on the cuisine, the type of class, price, date, or location on Cozymeal. Chefs all over Austin are hosting cooking classes that cover topics like baking, pasta making, vegetarian, vegan, sushi making, and so many more!
173. Make Cheese – If you’re an Austin couple who really enjoys being a part of the process of food, rather than just cooking new dishes, learn to make the ingredients themselves. Cheese can be fairly simple to make, and Austin Homebrew Supply offers classes to teach you how!
174. Enjoy High Tea – Plan a fancy evening of getting dressed up and then check out some of the top spots in Austin for high tea, including the Driskill, Rocheli Patisserie, and more! The Austin English Tea Company at Michelle’s Patisserie also offers open afternoon tea with a reservation on Sunday afternoons at three different times. The service includes refillable tea pots, scones, tea sandwiches, and sweets.
175. Eat Around the World – Austin has such a diverse food scene so you can essentially eat around the world! Choose a couple of countries you’ve always wanted to visit, or whose cuisine you’ve never had, and see if there is a restaurant where you can experience part of the country through the food. Some favorites of mine include Qi Austin, Beirut Restaurant for Lebanese food, and Fil n’ Viet for Filipino-Vietnamese fusion.
176. Become a Wine Expert – House Wine has classes so that you can learn all the fancy wine jargon, taste various notes, and discuss tannins together.
177. Go on a Pub Scavenger Hunt – Mix puzzles and problem-solving with great spots like the Raging on Rainey Scavenger Hunt.
178. Make Bread and Pretzels – Austin might have a cooking class for just about everything! Easy Tiger has workshops where you can learn to make bread or pretzels for a fun and tasty Austin date idea!
179. Learn About Sustainable Food – The Sustainable Food Center has all types of great cooking classes for you and your partner.
180. Dive into the Art of Sushi Making – Spice up your date night with an immersive sushi making class experience at Classpop! Led by their world-class sushi chefs, you and your date will learn the art of rolling your own sushi with a variety of fillings, flavors, and techniques. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced sushi enthusiast, this class is sure to provide a fun and satisfying experience!
Another place to check out is Uroku, where you’ll also learn all about the art of making sushi and then enjoy the fruits of your labor together!
181. Become a Pitmaster – At BrisketU, couples can learn how to make great Texas BBQ. Locations include Austin and nearby Dripping Springs, Elgin, and Cedar Park. Keep tabs on their site because they are always posting new classes!
182. Share a Monstrous Ice Cream Sandwich – Baked Bear redefines the ice cream sandwich by smashing your choice of their craft ice cream, made with all-natural ingredients, between two, fresh cookies made from scratch. You can choose your top and bottom, whether you want them to match, mis-match, or choose from the vegan and gluten free varieties. You can even get it warmed up! Share one or get two and decide who gets what so you can try even more flavors!
183. Or Eat Tiny Pies – Tiny Pies bakes fresh, scratch-made tiny pies from locally sourced ingredients in a variety of flavors, including sweet pies, breakfast pies, and savory pies. They also sell take-and-bake pies if you’re looking to end your date night on a sweet note at home or a huge pie to share over the next few nights.
184. Visit this One-of-a-Kind Taco Truck – Think tacos, but sweet! Choose from menu items like the Buttered Pecan Cookie or the Cookie Monster or build your own! Select from a variety of ice cream and syrup flavors, then add unlimited toppings like cereal, candy, and cookies. They also offer ice cream floats and and hand-spun shakes.
185. Enjoy a 12-Hole Course with 12 Courses – Dirdie Birdie is a 12-hole mini golf course with obstacles that pay homage to all the things we love about Austin. You don’t have to worry about making dinner or night-cap plans either because Dirdie Birdie also has a chef-curated food menu, cocktails, and mocktails! They even have brunch and Happy Hour specials!
More Austin Foodie Dates
Best Date Ideas: Quirky Things to Do in Austin
We all know Austin for being weird, so what would be more fitting than some weird date ideas!
186. Watch Shakespeare – Okay that part’s normal, but at S— Faced Shakespeare at North Door, one actor performs while completely drunk, making this Shakespeare show far less tragic and quite amusing!
187. See Some Junk – Have fun walking through a Cathedral of Junk, and not just any old junk. You’ll find all kinds of structures, thrones, and more, all made from one person’s trash!
188. Play Bingo with Chickens – Chicken Sh*t Bingo at Little Longhorn Saloon is quite the event, and you’ll see people come from all over yelling “Bingo” thanks to a chicken and some poop. It will be a memorable date for sure!
189. Get Weird on Wednesdays – For some people, Wednesday is for wearing pink, but at Alamo Drafthouse, it’s all about getting weird! Weird Wednesdays sometimes has outrageous movies and can only be explained by experiencing it for yourself.
190. Tour a Home – Casa Neverlandia is a unique home in Austin that feels like you’ve entered into a fairy tale. Maybe you’ll get some quirky home decor ideas from it too!
191. Go on a Duck Tour – Sure you can see Austin the normal way, or you can see Austin the weird way. At Austin Duck Adventures, you’ll start off on land and then make your way into the water!
192. See the Museum of Weird – What’s a weirder Austin date idea than visiting the Museum of the Weird? You’ll definitely find some interesting things here.
193. Enjoy Geeky Art – Self-proclaimed geeks run the Mondo Gallery where you’ll find all kinds of cartoons and other themed, nerdy art.
194. Let Out Your Inner Kid – The Texas Toy Museum is where you’ll find over 20,000 different pieces from as far back as the early 1900s!
195. Experience Christmas All Year – Leading up to Christmas, there’s all this excitement 6until, suddenly, it’s all over. However, at Lala’s Little Nugget, this Christmas bar boasts holiday cheer any day of the year without all of the accompanying holiday stress.
196. See Ghosts with a Limo – Austin Haunted Limo Tours takes you on a ghost tour, but in style.
197. See Underground Wrestling with a Weird Austin Spin – Party World Rasslin’ at 4th Tap Brewing starts off with wrestling, but turns into something strange as the night goes on!
198. Visit a Circus – and a lounge! The Carousel Lounge is a circus-themed bar that makes for a fun atmosphere.
199. Wander through Weird Exhibits – The Museum of Natural & Artificial Ephemerata has all kinds of interesting things, from a snow globe collection to a section dedicated to sleep!
200. Play Games on 6th Street – Sure, most people go to 6th for the partying and drinks. However, turn the date into something unexpected with all the fun, games, and strange bars you can find. Play giant video games while people take shots around you or sit on top of a giant jackalope.
201. Go on a Vintage Hunt – Set a budget and maybe a theme and see who can come up with the most unique, most fashionable, or most outrageous ensemble. Austin is full of unique treasures and shops, so take your pick! If you’re brave enough, take whatever you created out on the town as an extra addition to your Austin date.
Best Date Ideas: Free Things to Do in Austin
Having a date in Austin doesn’t have to be expensive! In fact, with over 30 of these free, unique date ideas, there are endless opportunities to connect. Plus, it’s not as much about the date as who you’re going on the date with!
202. See Peacocks – Mayfield Park is a beautiful place to wander around or plan a picnic, but an added fun perk is the peacocks that wander the property.
203. Or Turtles – The turtle pond on the UT Austin campus is home to dozens of species of turtles, including Snapping Turtles! You’re also free to feed them greens, fruit, vegetables, and pellets marketed as turtle food.
204. Watch Sunset at Mount Bonnell – It’s crazy that views this incredible are free! Mount Bonnell is one of the highest points in Austin. Scale the steps to the top of the hill and enjoy views of the Colorado River and the city skyline. Perhaps bring a picnic, but keep it lightweight.
205. Window Shop on SoCo – It’s fun to point out and discover all the cool things you can find at these shops without having to buy anything. You can find one of the most unique stretch of shops along South Congress!
206. See the Graffiti – and maybe create some of your own graffiti art at the Hope Art Gallery.
207. Hike the Barton Creek Greenbelt – You’ll pass through waterfalls, find places to swim, and enjoy all the natural beauty Austin has to offer.
208. See Bats Fly at Congress Avenue Bridge – Grab a spot, bring a blanket, and watch the spectacular show as thousands of bats fly from underneath Congress Avenue Bridge (March through early fall).
209. Discover the Tejano Walking Trail – Learn about the Hispanic history and culture of Austin with this self-guided walking tour.
210. Enjoy Free Summer Concerts – With Austin being a huge live music hub, you don’t have to worry about finding great talent on a budget. In addition to free live performances that can be found just about any day of the week, every summer, Austin hosts several concerts!
211. Go Two-Steppin’ – Broken Spoke has free shows Tuesday through Saturday, as well as dance lessons most nights for those who want to learn.
212. See the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center – This museum celebrates the contributions of African Americans through preserved artifacts, art, and special events.
213. Snag Free Drinks along 6th Street – Get to 6th Street early enough and you can enjoy a night out without having to pay for drinks.
214. Practice Yoga – If you look around (and use a little friend called Google) you can find free yoga just about any day of the week. Some places to look include Black Swan Yoga and Luke’s Locker.
215. See a Comedy Show – On Wednesdays, the Fallout Theater puts on a free comedy show!
216. Learn Improv – At ColdTowne Theater, you can dip your toe into improv with a free class!
217. Go on a Mural Tour – You’ll find several creative ones all over town! Pose with the “I love you so much” mural on the side of Jo’s Coffee on South Congress (among others), as well as the murals all over East Austin, along the Drag (a strip of establishments between UT Austin and West Campus), and outside the Native Hostel (and that’s not even all the murals around Austin).
The Castle Hill Graffiti Park is another unique Austin attraction that is completely dedicated to urban art.
218. Learn to Dance to the Blues – Motown Mondays at the Highball offers free dance lessons to blues music.
219. Or Learn Ballroom – Dance studios like Dance With Me Austin, Austin Social Dance, and Arthur Murray Dance Studio offer group and private classes where you can learn ballroom dances such as the Rumba, Foxtrot, Waltz, and the Tango!
220. Visit the Austin Fire Museum – Learn about the history of firefighting and step back in time through old photos and items that date all the way back to the 19th century.
221. See the Texas Military Forces Museum – See fighter jets, helicopters, uniforms and photos that date back to the 1800s.
222. Visit the Science and Nature Center – This is a place for a beautiful, leisurely walk where you can immerse yourself in nature, see animals, and check out cool workshops.
223. See a Waterfall – St. Edwards Park & Trail is an incredible hike to enjoy as a couple and get out amidst nature. Then, spend time together relaxing by the waterfall.
224. Hike River Place Nature Trail – With the cool rock formations, scenic overlooks, and miniature waterfalls, this specific hikes makes for an amazing date idea that just so happens to be free!
225. See the Castle-Like Elisabet Ney Museum – Elisabet Ney was a sculptor and inside, you’ll see some of her creations. However, just as exciting is the architecture of the building, which is reminiscent of a castle and might make you think you’re on a date in Europe, not Austin.
226. Check Out a Show – Zilker Hillside Theater offers free musical theater productions in Zilker Park for people who want to experience a Broadway date on a budget!
227. Eat at a Free Dinner Buffet – Sahara Lounge brings together a diverse community for a meal, conversations, and dancing on Africa night.
228. Hike McKinney Roughs Nature Area – Enjoy a day of hiking with 7 different trails along rivers with beautiful overlooks.
229. Go on a Walking Tour – Tipster Free Walking Tours will take you through an entertaining tour of the city. Tours are completely free, although tips are highly encouraged. Their goal is for everyone to be able to experience the city, no matter their budget.
230. Watch the Texas Stars Practice – Fans are welcome to watch practice games by checking their training schedule!
231. Be a Farmer – Grab a shovel or whatever tools they give you at the UT Microfarm and learn all about harvesting, composting, weeding, mulching, and more. It’s hard labor, but it’s fun, hard labor you get to do together. Plus, you get to be a part of doing something good!
232. See the Circuit of the Americas – for free when you volunteer together. You’ll get to see some of the shows and events and also get some fun, hands-on experience.
233. Volunteer Together – There are so many places in Austin to have a great experience while volunteering. This tends to be one of my favorite dates because it also shows you a lot about the heart of the person you are dating.
234. Tour the State Capitol – If you’ve never had the chance to actually take in the Texas State Capitol, you can make an amazing date out of taking a tour and learning all about this important building.
235. Explore Mexican American culture – The Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center has two museums on-site and entry is free. They also host a wide variety of events for people to connect with their culture or learn about each other.
You can volunteer in the healing garden and learn about the different herbs, enjoy Latin concerts, listen to guest speakers, see comedy shows and other cultural performances, and so much more. Just check their calendar to see what’s going on.
Best Date Ideas: Hands-on Things to Do in Austin
Get crafty together in Austin with these amazing date ideas and create something to take home with you!
236. Learn Glassblowing – Ghost Pepper Glass has different courses and classes so that you can be a glass blowing expert and take home a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork. Other workshops that offer classes are Blue Moon Glassworks, Austin School of Glass, East Side Glass Studio, Wimberley Glassworks, and Elgin Glassworks.
237. Create Something with Felt – It’s amazing all the things that can be created from felt, like your pet’s doppelganger or clothing. Living Felt offers classes so you can learn too!
238. Take Your Pick of Cool Projects – Upstairs Circus is a DIY shop and bar experience all in one. Plus, they have such a large selection of cool projects that include home art, jewelry, lifestyle projects, and more.
239. Make Something From Wood – You can make all sorts of cool projects with wood! Begin with something like a wooden star and you’ll end up eventually making your own cabinets!
240. Create Everything Under the Sun – CRAFT really does seem to have a bit of everything, including calligraphy, macrame, pickling, and a walk-in adult’s craft studio with a bunch of cool creations to choose from.
241. Make Glass Art – Helios has glass fusing classes, and the more date nights you have here, the better you’ll get!
242. Make Leather Goods – At Canoe, you can learn about leather working and make things like a snazzy leather key chain!
243. Make Home Goods – Austin Craft Lounge has all types of crafts: home decor, chunky knot blankets, shelves, and more!
244. Learn to Arrange Flowers – The Flower Social hosts floral arrangement classes so you can always have beautiful arrangements at home.
245. Learn Several New Skills – The Contemporary Austin, Austin Creative Art Center, and Dougherty Arts Center offer adult art classes ranging from pottery and ceramics to drawing and photography. Art+ Academy has four locations across the Austin area with a variety of classes as well, both in-person and online!
246. Paint Ceramics and Learn Pottery – Cafe Monet will teach you how to spin pottery or you can paint different types of pre-made pottery.
247. Walk-in Art – At the Art Garage, you can simply walk in for different art workshops including ceramics, tie dye, canvas painting, mosaics, and metal stamping.
248. Paint Together – Board and Brush has different workshops and drop-in classes for couples who want to paint together.
Make it a little more fun with a paint and sip classes at studios like Laugh A Lot Paint and Sip Art Classes, Booze N Brunch Sip and Paint, the Austin Arts Academy, and Painting with a Twist.
249. Learn to Paint Watercolor Art – Mint & Maple has watercolor and craft workshops, as well as DIY kits so you can find a scenic spot to paint or take one home with you for an at-home date night.
250. Do Some Spray Painting – Color Cartel will take you on a graffiti tour around Austin and then, at the end, you might even get to do a little spray painting of your own!
251. Learn to Play an Instrument – The Austin Arts Academy also offers adult music classes where you can learn to play the piano, guitar, violin, or ukulele in a group or private setting.
252. Work on Your Acting – BriteLites Acting Studio offers a variety of acting classes for all genres, whether you’re looking at film acting or you’re an “explorer.”
If you and your partner are both serious actors, Scene Studio offers advanced acting classes for individuals looking to hone their craft and create auditioning materials like demo reels.
Or, choose from beginning and advanced improv classes with various locations around Austin at Merlin Works. While you’re a student, you’ll also receive free entry into Merlin Works Showcases!
253. Take a Mixology Class – The Roosevelt Room hosts monthly, afternoon cocktail classes that cover a wide array of mixology topics. Gather your four favorite couples and book a mixology class with Austin Cocktail Co. where you’ll get a glass of prosecco to start and then learn to make (and drink) three curated cocktails of your own. There are also options for those who would prefer mocktails.
Best Date Ideas in Austin: Final Thoughts
Well, there you have it! With so many amazing date ideas in Austin, there really is no reason to be bored. No matter the budget or interests you share with your partner, there’s a tremendous amount of unique date ideas!
If you find yourself in a pinch and are in need of a last-minute, nighttime date idea, check out our list of the best things to do in Austin at night!
Did we miss something you think should be included? Share in the comments and we might add it to the list. Or if you encounter a night where you’d rather stay in, check out our list of stay-at-home date ideas!