The Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita is located on a 500-acre, private peninsula on the northern end of Banderas Bay (see the difference between Punta Mita and Punta de Mita here). Additionally, it’s only 10 miles from Puerto Vallarta and the nearest airport, Puerto Vallarta International Airport, is just 50 minutes away.
Although the Four Seasons is secluded, the hotel has done a great job of providing attractions and entertainment to hotel guests that showcase the area’s culture and traditions.
When we saw all the Four Seasons had to offer, we signed up for activities like releasing sea turtles into the wild, blending our own tequila, learning about Huichol art, cooking classes, kayaking, relaxing in the lazy river, and more! While there, make sure to also explore all of the amazing things to do in Punta Mita.
As soon as we stepped foot inside the Four Seasons in Punta Mita, we realized we were in for a treat. The staff handed us complimentary Mango Chamoy drinks with an optional complimentary tequila while we waited in the lounge for the front desk staff to check us in.
The lobby would have been a good indication of how impressive our room was going to be, with the oceanfront property, palm trees, outdoor swimming pools, and beach lounges, and yet we were still blown away once we reached our room.
We stayed at the three-bedroom Ocean Residence, which was a dream brought to life! We can only describe the residence as spacious. Even though it was just us two, the place would’ve been comfortable for an entire family.
The condominium, for lack of a better word, was spacious and modern, decorated with contemporary, Mexican, coastal artifacts and regional Huichol art. It featured two master bedrooms, one regular bedroom, a living room with plenty of seating, a dining room, and a full kitchen. Additionally, we had a private terrace and a private plunge pool.
We took the master bedroom with a king-size bed and an ocean view, which we took full advantage of in the mornings, when we watched the sunrise from our bed with a cup of coffee in hand. The guest rooms also had beautiful ocean and garden views.
There were also three, full ensuite bathrooms with tubs, large enough for two people, and outdoor showers. All the private bathrooms had L’Occitane toiletries, waffle-weave bathrobes, and hair dryers.
The rooms had complimentary wifi, flat-screen satellite TVs with cable channels in each bedroom, air conditioning, a safety deposit box, a clock radio with iPhone docking station, room service access, a private refrigerated bar, and a coffee machine and tea maker.
The Oceanfront Views
Let me tell you more about that view! The oceanfront view at the Four Seasons is unique; rocks line the shore, and you can hear the waves crash all day and night. This is heaven for those who need a sound machine to sleep at night, and for those who don’t like to be tossed and turned around in the ocean, there is a private infinity pool perfect for skinny dipping at night (wink-wink)!
A Few of Our Favorite Things
Our favorite things about our condo were the complimentary margarita kit and tequila, a recipe book for drinks and all the fixings needed to make your own drink, a small doll known as a Quitapena, or a Worry Doll, handmade bracelets, and the Huichol art. They even had cute tote bags and umbrellas we could bring to the beach and pool for convenience. Everything was so well thought out!
Our booking also included 24/7 access to the front desk, cultural classes, snorkel gear, kayaks, sunscreen at all beaches and pools, access to the pools and lazy river, an afternoon ice-cream cart, transfers between the resort and the golf clubhouse, bicycle rentals, and personal use of a six-person golf cart for easy transport.
One side of the Four Seasons with beach access is rocky. The waves are a bit rough, but that’s the nature of the Pacific Ocean; you can still swim there or lay back in the sand.
On the other side is Playa Manzanilla, which has some rocky areas and is not ideal for swimming. However, it’s an excellent spot for pictures, where the water is so clear! It’s incredible! Bring water shoes if you want to explore the rocks!
There are many sunchairs and cabanas to relax in on both sides, and the staff is friendly and attentive. However, the cabanas and other services are not included, so you’ll need to pay for them.
Just like at the beach, there are plenty of places to lounge at the pools and even private areas for rent. There is a towel service and a sunscreen and suntan service.
It’s almost hard to choose which pool to use because the Four Seasons has so many options!
Let us start with the Nuna Pool, the main infinity pool. It has three sections from which you can overlook the beach, with spectacular ocean views of the Pacific. The bartender came to take our orders from our loungers and had several suggestions for us. Since I had had a lot of fruity cocktails during my Punta Mita trip, I asked for an alcoholic coffee drink and got the Sexy Frappuccino. I highly recommend it!
We also had some excellent, fresh seafood tacos by the pool. The staff was attentive and caring, and we got two complimentary popsicles while we sunbathed. We also discovered a Mexican sake fusion cart near the beach, which was a pleasant surprise.
The Tamai Pool Oasis is an adults-only area in a separate part of the hotel. There are three pools and a hot tub, which is perfect for chilly evenings. This area has its own bar, restaurant, and private cabanas that you can rent.
Another favorite of ours was the family-friendly lazy river, surrounded by tall palm trees and vegetation that give this ride an Amazonian feel without the life-threatening creatures and whatnot! This pool also has a bar and restaurant. You can even ask for pool toys, like floaties.
The Fitness Centre
The Four Seasons’ fitness and wellness programs include services like Reiki, yoga, meditation, wellness classes, sound healing and Hatha yoga. If fitness is your thing, there are strength and cardio rooms, plus classes like Aqua Forza, Ocean View Spin, Beach Trunk Camp, HITT, and more!
- AQUAFORZA is a class that is done in the pool with paddleboards, where you use your own body weight and balance to strengthen your muscles and improve core stability.
- Spinning enthusiasts should check out their intense one-hour spin classes on the sun terrace with an ocean view.
- The hotel also has a CrossFit program for all levels and with all the equipment you need to finish your WOD with a refreshing plunge into the water.
- Hire one of the personal trainers to help you achieve or maintain your weight and strength goals during your vacation.
- The hotel also offers HIIT workouts for all levels, like Beach Boot Camp, which is conducted with light equipment to work all muscles and improve balance and endurance.
- Yoga lovers, this one is for you! Participants are guided by an instructor from one pose to the next while maintaining awareness of the beauty around and breathing in the intoxicating ocean breeze.
Be sure to book a tee time at one of Punta Mita’s Jack Nicklaus signature golf courses, the Punta Mita Bahia Golf Course, or sign up for golf lessons on their top-rated golf course. There are also perfectly manicured tennis and basketball courts surrounded by the area’s natural beauty.
Related Posts: A Guide to Punta Mita
One of the things that drew us to the Four Seasons was the long list of activities for guests.
There is a daily schedule of various activities to choose from; some are free, and some are for an additional charge. So, if you are one of those people who can’t just relax on the beach, then check out all that the hotel has to offer!
Activities We Tried
Due to our limited time, we only participated in the sea turtle release program. It was a magical experience for us! The resort is committed to protecting sea turtles and educating their guests about these creatures. They have a strict system in place to ensure you have an enjoyable experience but rest assured that turtle care is their top priority. Their program allows them to have a higher survival rate than in the wild.
If you want to discover more of the natural beauty of Punta Mita, the hotel can organize an excursion to explore the beaches in the area so you can find your favorite. First of all, you have the more famous beaches, such as Anclote Beach, Hidden Beach, Lover’s Beach, Bucerias Beach, and La Lancha Beach, along with lesser-known ones like Litibu Beach, Sayulita Beach, and Careyeros Beach.
- Adrenaline junkies can sign up for horseback riding, canopy adventures, ATV and RZR tours, sailing, surfing, sailing, and exploring the Marietas Islands.
- The chocolate classes looked like fun! We saw people make hot chocolate from scratch until it got foamy and ready to drink, as well as lots of tasting opportunities.
- For art and culture lovers, the hotel offers workshops like a Huichol art workshop and lecture, a dream catcher workshop, a xocolatl (chocolate) workshop, and a mezcal testing, where you can learn all about local culture and traditions. There are even outdoor lectures on the history of Punta Mita and Spanish classes.
- Follow the guidance of a shaman at the “rock” as you perform intentional rituals and discover a new perspective on the world where you can better appreciate all the culture around you.
- Discover the flavors of the Rivera Nayarit in their coffee with Mexican cafeteros and learn the stories of local coffee farmers while sipping on authentic coffee from the region.
- Sample famous Mexican wine under the guidance of a sommelier and learn about wines from the northern regions of Coahuila, Querétaro, Aguascalientes, Zacatecas, Baja California, Durango, and Sonora.
- Expand your tequila knowledge at Tequila Blend with a private class led by cultural concierge Enrique Alejos. At this workshop, you can blend your own personal tequila to take home.
- For those who want to light the fire of romance, there is a sunset cruise, private dinners, and private cabanas for rent.
Even if you’re spending most of your time unwinding at the resort, there are so many additional things they sprinkle in to enrich your experience! For instance, while sitting at the pool, there was a car nearby giving out Mexican Japanese sake fusion for people to try.
Activities for the Whole Family
There are catrina workshops, xocolatl workshops, and piñata parties for the kids. In addition, there is a game room with free wifi for teens and a playroom for kids. The hotel also offers babysitting services for parents so that you can take a breather during your vacation!
If you are traveling with children, the front desk or concierge service can help you plan a day trip to Aquaventuras Park; a water park with toboggans, ten different water slides, lazy rivers, a sea lion show, and the chance to swim with dolphins!
If you’re vacationing during the holidays, you don’t have to miss out on what makes Christmas at home so great. The hotel will decorate your suites with Christmas decorations and even Santa Claus stops by with gifts. There is even a Christmas dinner!
The Food at the Four Seasons
This is a paradise for foodies! There are many activities centered around food that you never would’ve thought possible!
- Check out the “Octopus Catch and Cook” program, where you go on a guided hunt for your own octopus and then participate in a workshop where you learn how to prepare it in different ways, and of course, eat your catch!
- There is a “Catch of the Day” service, where you choose from the local fishermen’s catch and have it prepared to your liking.
- A similar approach is the “From Sea to Table” service. In this program, whatever you catch is what you bring to the table. The chef prepares your catch as you like, and you even get fresh ceviche as an appetizer!
- Participate in the “Sea Forage Excursion” with Chef Jorge González and collect kelp, squid, and sea urchin, then consume your finds during a private dinner.
- Other culinary experiences include complimentary churros, ice cream, and popsicles.
There are 5 restaurants and 14 bars at the Four Seasons. Below are a few that we had a chance to try:
- Dos Catrinas is one of the restaurants on the premises that serves traditional Mexican dishes. We ordered Zareanado fish, which is popular in the area, duck with three types of mole, and some scallop tacos. Located in the heart of the resort, this colorful restaurant combines authentic Mexican decor with a modern twist. We were delighted with the fabulous cocktails created by Mexico’s most talented mixologists. The food here was definitely one of the highlights of our trip!
- Some of the other unique dishes are the Guava Gelee Stone (a chocolate crisp inspired by the city of Talpa) and the Duck Confit Mole Rosa (a duck confit with crispy skin and oregano vinaigrette). And if that’s too fancy, they also have enchilada night every night!
- The Mez Restaurant is a mezcal bar with over 40 different types of mezcal. The bartenders are very knowledgeable about both local and popular tequila and mezcal varieties, and we even tried a Raicilla, a close cousin of Jalisco mezcal. They also prepare delicious mezcal cocktails tailored to your preferences, curiosity, and alcohol tolerance.
- Aramara is a fine dining restaurant that offers a menu of popular dishes from all over Asia.
- The Salad Shack offers a variety of ingredients from which you can create your own custom salad, including local ingredients and seafood, right on the beach.
- Nuna Pool has a snack bar that also offers all kinds of cocktails.
- The Cora Lounge is located in the lobby of the Four Seasons and offers fresh fruit smoothies, juices, and a wide selection of coffee.
- The Shack is a special rum bar on the beach, sort of like a tribute to pirates, and at night there are bonfires! Yo-ho-ho!
- The Tamai Pool Bar is located near the spa. This on-site restaurant offers plant-based options, poke bowls, fresh sushi and sashimi, cocktails, and juice mixes.
- The Tale of the Whale is the golf course’s clubhouse, which houses both a bar and restaurant. It is strategically located near the fitness centre, bike paths, basketball courts, and tennis courts.
- Bahia by Richard Sandoval is a beachfront restaurant featuring grilled meats, fresh seafood, and gourmet dining options that are happy to accommodate the whole family!
We have briefly talked about the spa and fitness centre, but I want to go into more detail about what treatments the spa has to offer because they are worth mentioning!
- The spa centre offers a Punta Mita massage with tequila stones. That’s right! It’s an ancient combination of tequila and sage oil that relieves muscle tension, stimulates circulation, and improves joint mobility. Tissue pressure is applied with a combination of hands, forearms, and hot tequila stones.
- Another type of lymphatic drainage massage offered is the Haliki Cactus Massage. The Haiki cactus is made into a gel that is full of antioxidants and used along with sage cream to expel toxins, reduce swelling and bloating, relax the muscles, and restore moisture to the skin.
- A Sound Resonance Massage is a ritual that balances chakras and meridians. You receive a full body exfoliation followed by a massage to prepare the body. Seven stones are placed along your spine followed by the resonance of Tibetan vowels to connect with the stones and balance your energy centers.
- The couple’s massage is perfect for romantics. First, the therapists use Copal, or Mexican frankincense, to purify the atmosphere and your auras, followed by a massage focused on the areas of your choosing. Then, choose from a vast array of hydrotherapy options, like whirlpools, steam rooms, sauna rooms, or plunge pools. The service includes complimentary champagne and fruit. You can also add a private dinner by the beach if you’d like.
- If your body is in need of a little extra care, try the Restoration Massage: a Mexican holistic treatment of herbal compresses and massages. This massage begins from the navel and moves to the limbs accompanied by some humming. It’s a comforting massage that”’ restore you both physically and mentally.
- The spa also offers deep tissue massages that focus on trigger points to release muscle tension, which are perfect if you’ve been doing a lot of driving or surfing.
- The hotel has all your potential needs in mind, so they even have a Sun Stress Relief Therapy, a massage that helps relieve your skin after sun exposure. Hand selected products are applied with soft strokes to balance the body’s temperature and boost the body’s natural ability to heal.
- The Organic Beauty Treatment uses Eminence, an organic line of massage products with ingredients like coconut and apricot. The massage leaves your skin glowing and hydrated, just what it needs after long days in salt water.
- If you feel bloated or congested at the end of your vacation, make an appointment for the Detox Contouring and Toning Massage. This is a blend of dry body brushing and lymphatic drainage that reduces puffiness and promotes a defined silhouette.
- The Four Seasons Spa is full-service spa, meaning they also offer waxing and facials, as well as manicures and pedicures with lots of colors available! Children are welcome, and mothers and daughters can pamper themselves together.
The Surrounding Area
Punta Mita is a luxury community comprised of rental properties, real estate, and lovely hotels like the St. Regis Punta Mita Resort and the Four Seasons.
The Punta Mita city center is a 22-minute walk and 7 minutes by car or golf cart. The town center is a short strip full of different shops and restaurants that is an easy walk. If you are traveling by car, the hotel has free private parking for guests. The hotel also has golf carts for rent as well as free bikes for you to use in your commute to the city.
As far as safety is concerned, there is petty theft, like in any other tourist city. However, the hotels work with the community to keep the streets safe.
The Four Seasons Resort: Final Thoughts
We strongly recommend booking at the Four Seasons! We had a wonderful time full of unforgettable experiences. We felt each activity we participated in was done thoughtfully and seamlessly by the hotel and that the staff genuinely wanted to teach us about the area’s culture and traditions. Make sure to explore our guides on all of the things to do in Punta Mita, as well as why should stay in Punta Mita.
The hotel was a nice little village where something is always brewing. Consider the Four Seasons if you want to take a trip that exposes you to new cultures. Give your peace of mind a break knowing that your family can roam freely throughout the hotel grounds, surrounded by lush acres full of natural beauty where there is always something to do!